- Access to Higher and Further Education
- Completion of Higher and Further Education
Objectives: Education is one of the most important predictors of success. STREAM into college aims to guarantee that some of the most vulnerable youth in Lebanon have access to higher education. This program empowers youth and nurtures their interest in STEAM and Research by providing them with language and vocational trainings and introducing them to the scientific research process in a professional setting.
- Improve students’ language proficiency in English
- Prepare high school students for college admissions
- Provide college students vocational and communication trainings
- Introduce students to a professional research experience
Target group: 90 Lebanese and Syrian public high school students in grades 10 and 11 and vulnerable university students in Lebanon
Project Location: Beirut, Lebanon
STREAM into College is a two-fold program that aims to increase access to higher education of high school students as well as increase access to the labor market for already enrolled college students. On one hand, the program allows vulnerable high school students to gain academically challenging college-level experience by exploring undergraduate academic careers in STEM related fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math).
In addition, the program makes students better candidates for selective college admission by providing advanced coursework, SAT preparation as well as opportunities to participate in Research.
On the other hand, the program also targets vulnerable freshmen and sophomores enrolled in college and provides them with opportunities in career development through vocational trainings, mentorship opportunities and access to research experiences. As teams, students will learn and practice applying the scientific method on a project that will culminate in presenting their findings in a conference organized by the program.
- Academic and Vocational Trainings and workshops:
- English Language courses
- Preparatory courses: Comprehensive SAT courses and college admission workshops through the Princeton Review
- Career guidance, digital skills, communication, resume and cover letter writing and interviews
- Lectures, Research work in laboratories, guidance and mentorship
- Presentation of findings in a final conference
- Financial assistance for SAT and university entrance application
ABOUT THE AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF BEIRUT
Founded in 1866, the American University of Beirut (AUB), is a private, not-for-profit, coeducational, independent, non-sectarian institution of higher learning operating under a charter from the State of New York and accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. AUB is committed to the ideals of critical thinking, open debate, and diversity.
The university’s faculty serves over 9,000 students in more than 140 PhD, Master’s, and Bachelor’s degree programs in a variety of disciplines and fields. Faculties include Arts and Sciences; Maroun Semaan Faculty of Engineering and Architecture; Agricultural and Food Sciences; Health Sciences; Medicine; Hariri School of Nursing; and the Suliman S. Olayan School of Business.