The project HOPES (Higher and Further Education Opportunities and Perspectives for Syrians), funded by the EU’s Regional Trust Fund in response to the Syrian Crisis, the ‘Madad Fund’ and implemented by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the British Council, Campus France and Nuffic, is pleased to announce the opening of free English access courses for Syrian and Jordanian students at Jordanian University for Science and Technology (JUST), Zaytoonah University and Quds College.
The project provides refugees of post-secondary age from Syria and young people in host communities in Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with the opportunity to access higher education in the host countries and to contribute to the preparation of the post-crisis reconstruction of Syria.
If you are a Syrian or Jordanian student enrolled in a university in Jordan, or if you plan to apply to become a student and you need English for your studies, you can apply for a place on a 100-hour HEEAP course taught at a HOPES partner university or college.
What do you get on a HEEAP course?
- 100 hours of face-to-face English classes
- Special workshops related to applying for scholarships and using English at university (within the 100 hours face-to-face English classes)
- An online course that will improve your English skills for employability (additionally to the 100 hours face-to-face classes)
- An Aptis test and certificate that you can use to show employers and universities your English level (after completing the 100 face-to-face classes and the online course)
Courses will be taught at JUST, Quds College and Zaytoonah University by university teachers with classes of around twenty-five students.
To be eligible to join a HEEAP course, you must be:
- aged 18 or over
- either an enrolled student or planning to (re)enter Higher Education
- able to attend regular classes at our partner institution
- either Syrian or Jordanian
- if Syrian, registered with the UNHCR or have left Syria since 2011.
How to apply:
Fill out the online form for the University of your choice for the course:
Jordan University of Science and Technology: http://bit.ly/AlQudsHOPES
Quds College: http://bit.ly/AlQudsHOPES
Zaytoonah University: http://bit.ly/HOPESZU
- Deadline:3/6/2018 to receive the application forms via email.
- You will have to attend an online English test so we know which level of English class is best for you. The Online Placement Test (OPT) will take place in a week after the deadline. Once you have submitted the application, save this date!
- We will announce the exact time and place for the OPT and the English Course at a later stage.
- Only students who have admitted their application form ON TIME will be allowed to attend the Online Placement Test (OPT).
- Once your level of English has been determined through the OPT, we will inform you whether we can accommodate you in a class. We will do our best to accommodate all students. However, we will prioritize those who need English for their studies the most and those registered with UNHCR.
- Please contact the Language Center at JUST, Quds College and Zaytoonah University for any further questions.
For more information:
For inquiries about the HOPES-HEEAP program, please contact us through:
- E-mail: Jordan@hopes-madad.org